Individual coil systems for generating homogeneous magnetic fields and magnetic field compensation.
Magnetic fields can be generated and controlled with single and multi-axis coil systems. Our triple axis Helmholtz coils are particularly well suited for compensating the earth's magnetic field and generating highly homogeneous magnetic fields. They are characterized by a precise coil arrangement and can be driven by a matesy-designed power amplifier.
A coil arrangement consisting of two coils with the same radius or edge length is called a Helmholtz coil. At the correct distance, these coils are arranged in parallel on the same axis and current flows through them in the same direction. Their magnetic field is then characterized by a large homogeneous area in the center of the coil, which is freely accessible for experiments and measurement tasks. Helmholtz coils can have a circular or square geometric shape.
Design & Function
A coil arrangement consisting of two coils with the same radius or edge length is referred to as a Helmholtz coil. At the right distance, these coils are set up parallel on the same axis and current flows through them in the same direction. The course of the magnetic field is then characterized by a large homogeneous area in the center of the coil, which is freely accessible for tests and measurement tasks. Helmholtz coils can have a circular or square geometry.
A magnetic field in any direction can be generated with the three-dimensional arrangement by varying the current ratio between the pairs of coils.
The strength of the magnetic field generated by a Helmholtz coil is linearly dependent on the coil current and almost independent of location (center volume). The strength of the magnetic field along the axis can be calculated analytically from the geometry of the coil, the current, and the number of turns. Helmholtz coils are ideal for calibrating sensor technology, such as: Hall, magnetoresistive, fluxgate and SQUID magnetometers.
- Scalable to customer requirements
- Matched power amplifiers for high field resolution
- Can be configured for AC and DC applications
- Compensation for the earth's magnetic field
- Precise calibration of highly sensitive sensors
- Parallel controllable axes
- Customer specific matching possible
- Robust design for precise measuring tasks
- Different sizes for generating exact magnetic fields
- Single axis and triple axis versions available
- Software-based field configuration control
- Edge length/diameter: 10 cm – 10 m
- Field range: ≤ 5 mT
Temperature range: -10° C – 60° C
- Control: manual or PC-based
- Angular error: ≤ 0.1°
- Frequencies: 0-200Hz
- Sensor calibration
- Earth magnetic field compensation
- Generation of arbitrarily directed test fields